Saturday, March 20, 2010

Tails of a masochist...

OK I am an IT person, for those of you who don't know what that means, it means I get paid to fool around with computers all day. Some people might think, gee that sounds like fun, it actually is up to a point.

I am by no means an expert, but I have seen a lot of things in my time, some good Windows 7, XP, 2000, some bad Windows ME (Millennium Edition), Vista (sort of).

Well I decided last week the wife's computer could use some upgrading so I had a copy of Windows 7 Premium Edition, I checked her hardware against the compatibility guide, no real surprises, so okay lets upgrade.

Well as luck would have it, I had a few hurdles to get over. I did in the end and now she is running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Well this weekend I decided my Server (fancy name for a computer that shares files and printers with others) needed to upgrade, I was given a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit to replace my ailing Vista Ultimate 64bit (trade up policy).

I started at 1PM noted the drive I was going to use for the upgrade was prepared as I was going to keep the OS boot drive intact just in case. Well the drive I prepped failed at 30% of the load. I was thinking to myself should I pop in an old 80Gb I had laying around but I noted that 64 bit Os's tend to use a lot of space and I have a fair amount of apps to load as well. So I opted to go to "Comp-USA" and pick up a new drive.

I thought about getting a 160Gb Hard disk but the price difference between a 160Gb and a 500Gb was about 10$ so I opted for more space.

Got back to the house about 4PM and began, Windows took a good 45mins to install and I was back up with the barest essentials by about 9PM including the BULK of the updates for Windows and Office.

Sunday afternoon I started on the other software, by 5PM I had most of that installed and working. There were a few odds and ends to fix but all in all it was working as planned. I decided that I could remove the 160Gb drive (the original) boot disk and also remove a 250Gb hard disk that was no being used. Really if you can't fit most of what you have on 2TB, you don't need a computer you need a server farm.

That getting done I reconfigured my hard drives by partitioning them. With 250Gb of space for the OS and Applications  1.75Tb for storage I think I'll be okay. I'm a PC and Windows 7 DOESN'T S*CK!

No comments:

Post a Comment